Sunday, November 26, 2006

No more Wal-Mart for me

Ever since the accident we saw last weekend, we have decided to drive as little as possible. We have even reconsidered our weekly trips to Berryville to do our grocery shopping at Wal-Mart. Then, I checked out a DVD at the library that solidified my thoughts even more. It is called "Wal-Mart: the high cost of low price" - a Robert Greenwald Film. When faced with all the facts and statistical data against WM's practices, I can't justify making the drive to shop there.

The local grocery stores may have higher prices, but I am less likely to impulse shop like I do at WM. So I spend less and don't end up with useless items. Plus, I feel better supporting local businesses to keep my community thriving. Eureka Springs relies so much on tourism for much of its capital already, then if all the residents do their shopping in other towns we will be totally reliant on tourists. We want our town to thrive on its own, with tourism being an added bonus. So from now on, we'll find what we need right here and encourage other locals to follow suit.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home