Sunday, January 14, 2007

A City of Neighbors

We've lived in Eureka Springs for 6 months as of today. I already know all of my neighbors, have made some good friends, and recognize a lot of people whenever I go to town or the market, or wherever. Living in a small town definitely puts you in a different frame of mind. My husband put it aptly when he said, "It's not a small world anymore, it's a small town." Whenever I go out, I wonder who I will see that I know - whereas, if you live in a large town you are surprised if you see someone you know. It's very comforting, like one big family. Everyone is always willing to help whenever you need it also. For example, since we only have one car, we have needed rides a couple of times and someone is always willing to assist us.

I know more of my neighbors now than I have ever known any neighbors in past cities. Even as a kid, we knew about 50% of the neighbors on our block, mostly because I was friends with their children. But now, I can honestly say I personally know 80% of the people in my whole neighborhood (including 3 cul-de-sacs and the main road) and I have met most everyone else and know where they live and what they drive. It is very easy to tell when people are having visitors or there are tourists driving through the neighborhood. I'm sure all the neighborhoods in town are like ours in this way, and that is why the crime rate is so low here.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home