Thursday, May 10, 2007

My son, the musical prodigy

We knew our kids would probably be artistic and musically inclined, since those are our interests and we start them at a very young age with art and music. Our 2 year old son has been surprising us lately, however, with his ability to remember songs including the tune. We'll hear a song in the car and then a week later, he'll start singing it. Last week, he started singing "Shout" by Tears for Fears, remembering all the words and the melody. This is what he sang at the dinner table, "Shout, shout, let it all out... These are the things I can do without, Come on, I'm talking to you... Come on."

Yesterday in the car, we were listening to a new CD comp my husband had just put together and a new David Bowie song came on that I hadn't even heard yet since it was off his latest album. Then from the back seat, we hear my son call out, "Hey, that sounds like Labyrinth!" So he actually recognized David Bowie's voice and connected it with a movie he's only seen about three times (not recently). The style of the music is completely different and even Bowie's voice has changed quite a bit in the last 25 years since Labyrinth was made. Kids really amaze me sometimes with their adept perception of the world. We think they don't notice everything that goes on or they don't understand, but I think they comprehend a lot more than we give them credit for.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:21 AM, Blogger jolibe said...

That is really amazing! Sounds like he definitely has an ear for music. My 18 month old doesn't make musical connections yet, but he's starting to reveal to us how perceptive he really is too! There's always something new everyday with kids around, isn't there? I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home