Friday, November 23, 2007

Extra curricular activities

With all the activities available to children these days, it is hard for a parent to decide what to expose their child to. When I was a child, I started with dance (ballet and modern jazz), but that only lasted a year or so. Then I got into recreational soccer, but that only lasted a couple of seasons and involved a lot of driving on my parent's part.

Probably my favorite activity was horse riding. In Colorado, there is an equestrian group called Westernaires that teaches young people ages 9-19 horsemanship, including riding techniques as well as proper grooming. I'm not sure all the costs that were involved, but I know they required equestrian riding apparel including boots.

I guess it all comes down to money, as most things do these days. When you are considering an activity for your child, you must realize all the costs involved, from application fees, monthly fees, uniforms, equipment, travel costs, and maybe more. I found out recently that some organizations like Girl and Boy Scouts actually offer scholarships that help pay for the membership fees, so be sure to ask about assistance if you require it.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home