Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Life's pains


My beautiful mother has been living with some severe joint pain that occurs sporadically. She never knows until she wakes up in the morning if she will be able to function normally or not. Sometimes the pain is so bad in her arms she has to miss work. Her doctor was baffled for a long time, since the episodes were so few and far between, with no apparent connection. He assumed it was some sort of over-exertion from exercise, but we knew that wasn't the case because my mom has always kept active. She takes long walks at least four days every week and these pains came on very sudden, with no change in her activity habits.

After repeated attempts for more help and relief for her condition, to no avail, she decided to get a second opinion. After hearing her symptoms, the new doctor immediately diagnosed my mom with Rheumatiod Arthritis. RA is an autoimmune disease which causes chronic inflammation of the joints. I am surprised the first doctor didn't think of this right away, since she also suffers from the Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. Hashimoto's is also an autoimmune deficiency and it is common to be afflicted with more than one autoimmune disorder. At least now she knows what is causing the pain, but the bad news is my mom doesn't like taking drugs of any kind because they cause insomnia for her. She would much rather treat this topically, but hasn't found a product strong enough to relieve the pain enough to carry on with daily activities.

I was fortunate to receive some free sample packets of Freeze It Gel, a new product to alleviate pain which contains natural ingredients like vitamin E, aloe, and ILEX (an herbal extract from a holly shrub that enhances the effects of the pain relief ingredients). Freeze It also contains menthol and camphor to numb and cool the afflicted area deep down into the tissue of the muscle or joint. This gel is also helpful for common sore muscles and sore necks or back pain.

I think Freeze It is just what my mom needs to help with her joint pain. She could carry a tube with her to ease the fear of a sudden painful attack and go on with her life with more confidence. This post is actually my entry into a Freeze It contest. If they like mine the best, I will win a year supply of Freeze It that I would happily send to my mother to ease her pain.



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger jolibe said...

I'm sorry to hear about this. I friend of mine in her late twenties has this affliction too. Very sad. I've heard that the Freeze gel is really good! The chiropracter that we go to swears by it, and JJ has used it for his back and knee when they've been really acting up. Good Luck with the contest!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home