Thursday, November 15, 2007

Holiday recipe


It's no secret that Thanksgiving is all about the food. We get together with friends and family to share a huge meal and give thanks for all we have. Many holidays involve families sitting down to a fancy spread of food, but Thanksgiving is the only one that revolves solely around the food.

Anyway, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the only holidays my mother makes her homemade mashed potatoes. I remember these from my earliest days as a young toddler at the dining room table. Tasting them now brings back memories from long ago. They are always a big hit, and the recipe is surprisingly simple and intuitive.

Creamy Mashed Potatoes

7 large potatoes, sliced
Butter
Milk
Garlic Powder
Onion Salt
Parsley (fresh or flakes)

Boil the sliced potatoes in a large pot until they are soft when poked with a fork. Drain out the water and blend with a mixer. Add butter and milk slowly as you mix, until you reach the desired creamy consistency. Then add the spices, tasting as you go, until you reach the desired flavor. Potatoes will thicken a little as they cool.
Makes 10-12 servings
_______________________________________

I currently only have a hand mixer, but my arm gets very tired blending such a large amount of potatoes. It would be much easier to use a stand mixer like the Eclectrics® Mixer. Hamilton Beach has been in the mixing business since 1911. With a history that goes back almost one hundred years, you are ensured satisfaction with a Hamilton Beach® Mixer. Their all metal design with 400 watts of power can stand up to the toughest of mixing jobs, even 9 dozen cookies or 4 loaves of bread at one time! The mixers have twelve settings to get exactly the results you need for the job. Hamilton Beach® backs their product with a full three year warranty on the Hamilton Beach® Stand Mixer. During the month of November, All Eclectrics® Stand Mixers qualify for free UPS ground shipping.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 10:01 AM, Blogger jolibe said...

Sounds yummy! I might have to try it out this year...I'm hosting the family Thanksgiving next week - first time ever! Wish me luck!

Oh, and I was reluctant when JJ wanted to get a stand-up mixer after we got married, but now I don't know what I would do without it! It's a great addition to any kitchen! I even convinced my mom that she needed one - and she's not even that into cooking. And she loves hers now too!

Add it to your wish list for sure! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home