Monday, February 25, 2008

Independence is key

Well, it seems we are mostly back on track with my three year old son's potty habits. As you may recall, he was totally trained (much to my surprise) in one day on the first Friday in December. Once he understood what was expected of him, he would go about his "business" all by himself and only tell us after he had finished. He never told us before he went to the bathroom. He was very proud, as we all were and very independent about the whole thing.

Then I became too controlling (as I always do, dang it!) and he started using it as a control/stubborn issue. I would ask him to go potty and he would always say no, then he would wet himself from holding it for too long. Then I stopped asking and he was better about going by himself, but would still hold it for too long and sometimes have some wetness in the underwear.

So I've tried to ease up even more and it seems to be helping. I also put the toddler potty back in the kid's bathroom because I think the size of it comforts him, even though he will use the big potty too. I think he just likes having it there "in case" he needs it. Anyway, I'm very happy to report that we are only going through one or two pairs of underwear per day, rather than the four our five we were changing daily a couple of weeks ago.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home