Friday, June 06, 2008

Everything is relative

My husband was talking with a friend about our plan to drastically cut our living expenses, so we can semi-retire and continue make our living through art, music, web ventures, and of course, my coveted library job. His friend lives in Boston, and he commented that $1,000 a month would barely buy daily coffee in Boston.

Everything is relative, and while the cost of living there is probably much higher than here, Boston jobs also pay a lot more to make up the difference. For example, the median household income in Boston is $42,500, while here in Eureka Springs, the median household income is only $26,600. Another issue that Eureka Springs residents have to contend with is the tourism market and the fact that most of the town virtually shuts down for several months in the winter, making some workers stretch nine months of income out over the entire year. I'm lucky that the library remains busy all twelve months.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger jolibe said...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I remember living off of about $800/month back in my college days! It's nice to have more money, but I've noticed that the more you have the more you spend. That's certainly something I need to work on. Good luck to you on grabbing that simplified lifestyle!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home