Friday, August 29, 2008

The make-up debate

My daughter is seven years old and has recently become very aware of her appearance. She wants to pick out her clothes for school in the morning and brushes her hair and wears headbands and necklaces. Yesterday, she got out her kiddie make-up set and started putting eyeshadow and blush on. That's where I resisted. I didn't wear make-up until middle school, and looking back on it now, that was probably even too early.

The hard part is that when she sees me applying make-up, she says, "I thought you said we don't need make-up to look pretty, Mommy." True, I did say that. I believe it too. But some days, Mommy feels she needs a little coverage and a little color. I'm not a huge make-up wearer. I only wear powder on top of my daily sunscreen, and mascara on my top lashes. I'm not the type of person who won't have my picture taken, or have a passport redone because I don't like the way it turned out. I truly think that most women look just as good, and some look a heck of a lot better without so much make-up on.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home