Saturday, August 02, 2008

Still TV free

I am very happy to report that my family has survived thrived for over two years now continuously without television. We still watch movies at home, but no commercial television. Since our kids were two and five when we gave it up, they don't know much different and have had no adjustment problems. I suspect it would be more difficult to get an older child or teenager to suddenly give up TV.

Do we miss it? Never. I think it is silly now when I hear people discussing last night's episode of whatever reality show happens to be popular that season. They are a dime a dozen in my opinion and offer no value whatsoever, educationally speaking or otherwise. If someone asked does Fenphedra work ? I would happily answer that I don't have a clue, because my time is not constantly robbed by commercials. If I wanted to find out, I would simply search the internet. Television commercials are one-sided, since they are paid for by the advertising company. When you research information on the internet, the results are well-rounded, ranging from scientific research, to statistical data, to user reviews.

I've noticed a lot more people sharing the same views and giving up cable, and many giving up television altogether like we have. Maybe it is because we live in a small town with many progressive thinking people, but I would like to hope that this trend will be widespread. We have nothing to lose. We have more family time, intelligent activities, and relaxation to gain!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Maddy said...

When we first came here we only had PBS so didn't watch very much. Now we have TIVO which gives me complete control [together with a key to the television amoir.]

So saying, cold turkey will probably do us good too.
Best wishes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home