Saturday, October 25, 2008

Garage alternative

We are looking forward to building our very own small house, just as soon as we sell our current one (I know, I know, easier said than done right?). Anyway, we have been researching ways to save money building, without cutting corners or lacking in quality. Luckily, we live in a pretty moderate climate, where it doesn't get super cold in the winter. We enjoy the benefits of a garage right now, but we are not planning to build one at our next house.

Many people in this area have carports, but those can detract from the look of the house, depending on the style. I remember a really neat carport at a house in a small mountain town in Colorado that was built out of wood, and it looked kind of like a cross between a barn and an arbor. If we decide we need a carport, I think we would build something along those lines to fit in with the natural surroundings.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:13 AM, Blogger goodwolve said...

We have a carport and it is the ugliest thing in the universe. I want to tear it down - it is falling in on itself anyway, but now I have the idea I can put plastic on the top, and close it in and make some kind of green house - not sure hubby will love that idea.

Ugly!

 
At 11:49 AM, Blogger eureka mom said...

Hey! That sounds like a great idea and it is "green" in so many ways. You would be reusing an existing structure, while growing your own veggies. I love it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home