Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Vegetarian at heart

If it were up to me, our family would be vegetarians. It's not that I hate meat, but I could take it or leave it. My children prefer vegetables to meat in their meals, and would live on fruits and veggies alone if they could. We went completely vegetarian for a little over one year, but my husband got bored with the tofu and bean concoctions and started craving meat again. I mean, it's not like he would ever join a bacon of the month club or anything, but he does enjoy meat a few times a week - especially if it is cooked on the grill.

The thing I miss the most about banning meat from the kitchen is the ease of cleaning. I feel like my kitchen is much more sanitary when I don't have to worry about cleaning up after raw chicken, pork, or beef that has been prepared there. With meat, you have to be conscious of which utensil was used for what, and did it touch any raw meat, or did anything drip on the counter, etc... It is much easier to clean the cutting board and the knives if they were only used to chop veggies.

Oh well, at least we have two or three vegetarian dinners in our house per week, which is a reasonable compromise between the meat lover and the veggie lovers.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home