Friday, July 20, 2007

Let's talk about health

One particular annoying ailment I have been dealing with for over twenty years is migraine headaches. I've tried every over-the-counter product available, gone to doctors, tried prescription drugs, had a dental mouthpiece made for overnight use, herbal supplements, and chiropractic alignments, all to no avail.

Acupuncture is one thing I haven't tried which may work, but I am a bit scared to try it. I may try acupressure first and see if that works. The headaches are hard to pinpoint because I only get them once or twice a month, but when I do they are so debilitating I just have to go to sleep to get rid of them and avoid noises, light, and strong smells (all of which are difficult to avoid when you have two small children).

Another option is ordering stronger over-the-counter remedies online like Nurofen Plus. It is a combination of Ibuprofen and Codeine, which are very effective in eliminating pain when used together. The ibuprofen targets the pain locally, while the codeine works centrally to reduce the brain's perception of pain.

After my son was born, I had severe neck pain and my midwife prescribed Tylenol with codeine. I remember feeling very nauseous for a day and a half after only taking one dose, so I may actually be allergic to codeine. But it could have just been a strange reaction or I was just over-exerted after childbirth. I should probably give it another try before assuming I am allergic, but I am somewhat afraid to.

I know lots of people who use codeine for severe pain with no problems, so I'm sure this product would work great for most and maybe when the migraines get the better of me, I will be willing to try codeine again.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home