Saturday, July 14, 2007

Switching back for now

With the scare of rat poison in dog foods made in China, I have been cooking my own dog food for a few months and it has been going fine. The dog enjoys it and I don't mind making it too much. The house stinks a little for a day after I make a batch, and it takes a bit of extra planning at the store. Once I ran out and had to substitute some items, which I know is bad for dogs. The main problem with making the dog food is the price. It's not too expensive, at about $1.00 a pound, but when you compare it to an 18 pound bag of food for $6.99, there is just no comparison.

Since the scare of the tainted dog food is over, I have been transitioning back to commercial dog food bought from a local store. I suppose another option is Organic dog food bought online, but again there is the price issue. I really wish I could afford to treat my dog to premium natural dog food and treats, but alas, she will probably have to wait a few years. At least I know I can make the food again if necessary, but for now we're back to regular dry food.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home