Sunday, December 28, 2008

Guaranteed life

One of my least pleasant memories is the first time I applied for life insurance. They sent a nurse over to my house to do the medical exam. As if the long list of questions weren't bad enough, then it was time for the blood test. Now, I don't have a problem with needles, but occasionally nurses have problems finding my veins. Apparently, they are "deep" and "roll around" when poked. One time, when I donated blood I had to be poked three times by a couple of different nurses before they found a good vein.

This life insurance examiner was the worst, though. He made three different holes in each of my inner elbows, before finally getting enough blood to fill the vial. Afterwards, one of my arms had a 6-inch bruise for weeks and was very painful. All this for insurance in the unlikely event of my death. I've heard about guaranteed issue life insurance, where no medical exam is necessary and everyone is accepted, regardless of health history. This sounds great, but how much does it cost?

I would think that if they suspect you are on the way out, your monthly payment would be much higher than the people who passed the rigorous medical exam and questionnaire. However, it is great that even terminally ill patients can get life insurance, in the interest of their loved ones. It only takes a few minutes to get a quote online, so it's probably worth the time to check it out and compare rates.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home