Friday, August 17, 2007

Not-so-drastic measures

The heat and humidity we've had lately has turned everyone into homebody couch potatoes. No one feels like leaving their air-conditioned house, let alone go for a walk or a bike ride. I am definitely looking forward to some cooler weather in the next couple of months. One great thing about Eureka is the long, long autumn season!

Anyway, the reason I mention exercise is that walking has become a habit and when I can't get out and walk my daily two miles, I really miss it and feel "blah" all day long. I'm still working on losing a bit of baby fat that is hanging on from my last pregnancy. I don't really have a problem with how my body looks, (I've accepted what I've got to work with), I just don't want to be uncomfortable in my clothes and have to buy new ones. While I only wish to get rid of about fifteen or twenty pounds, I know some women would like to reduce their weight by fifty pounds or more.

These women have considered gastric bypass surgery, but that just seems so definitive and drastic. Now there is another option called lapband, short for Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding. During the procedure, an adjustable band is wrapped around the upper part of the stomach and tightened much like a wrist watch to restrict both the size of the stomach to enhance the feeling of quicker fullness, and the stomach outlet so food travels slower through the system, retaining a full feeling longer.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home