Monday, February 05, 2007

Fresh food?

Last night, I tried to order a pizza from our favorite place, Geraldi's. No one answered the phone, so I guess they were closed. Then I tried to call Sonny's and they didn't answer either. Usually both places are open all weekend. I finally found a place that was open, and ordered a pizza from Forest Hill restaurant. It was very inexpensive - $8.50 for a large pepperoni! The taste wasn't that great, though.

Then I got to thinking, if a restaurant owner decides to stay open in the winter and they are so slow, how can they possibly keep their food fresh? Since the tourism fluctuates, how do they know how much to make or order? I would think a lot of food would be wasted and have to be thrown away. Then you have to consider the staff. Do they keep full-time waiters on staff "just in case" they get any customers?

Unfortunately, I think it is probably in a restaurant's best interest to close for at least two months in the winter. Apparently, the residents of Eureka Springs don't go out to eat very much. This is a good thing for families, but a bad thing for restaurants.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home