Monday, September 03, 2007

Some things get better with age

One affliction I have been dealing with since I was a child is migraine headaches. I used to get them really bad in school, so we assumed they were stress related. I tried many different types of headache treatment, all to no avail. With most prescription treatments, the side effects are usually worse than the headache!

After graduating college, the headaches lessened in frequency from about one or two a week to about three times a month. Then when I was pregnant with my first child, I did not have one headache throughout the entire nine months. That was wonderful and led me to think that perhaps it was some sort of hormone imbalance causing them all these years. Since having children, I get headaches maybe once a month. I have found that if I feel one coming on, I drink a cup of sweetened green tea and lay down for twenty to thirty minutes and usually a bad headache can be prevented.

If I do happen to get a migraine headache these days, I opt for the natural approach of taking a nap in order for it to subside. I have never had a headache last more than one day, as sleeping always helps for me. I can't imagine people who get migraine headaches that last for days on end. I feel for them and I don't think I could handle that.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home